Help for Low-Income Consumers
A number of special programs are available in Ontario to help low-income energy consumers. You need to meet certain criteria to qualify for these programs:
- This program provides low-income consumers with a monthly on-bill credit to reduce their electricity bill.
- Emergency financial assistance – This program provides a one-time grant towards your electricity or natural gas bill if you are temporarily unable to make ends meet in an emergency situation.
- Utilities have to follow special rules when dealing with customers with limited finances; for example, waiving security deposits, allowing longer payment times, a longer grace period if facing disconnection, and more.
- We also have rules in place to ensure that all electricity customers across the province are treated fairly when it comes to disconnections. Learn more about the customer service rules that are in place for consumers who are not low-income.
- Utilities offer programs that can help you reduce your energy use and lower your overall household costs.
Page last updated 2016-12-08